- Visitors & Societies
- The Club
- Contact us
Course Opened 1894: Chevin Golf Club was established in 1894 as a 9 hole course designed by William Lowe, professional to Buxton & High Peak. The course was formally opened on October 13th 1894 by professionals James Braid and Tom Williamson.
The clubs existing course of 18 holes covers both parkland and moorland terrain with magnificent 5 county views from the Chevin Ridge. The histories surrounding the site include, Paleolithic to Bronze and Iron Age people and later Roman Legionnaires. The course was first conceived at the ‘Court House Farm’ where the old Court (now a private residence) houses a lock-up where prisoners were kept until their demise close to the 13 hole aptly named The Gibbet.
First Ladies Committee 1908: Led by founder member Mrs Katherine Sayer a redoubtable Lady who was a stickler on the etiquette of the game
1951 Chevin produces Ladies Champion of England: During the following years of mixed golf, another legend in our lifetime emerged in the form of The Hon Joan Gee. A much admired golfer, nationwide, and Champion of England in 1951.
1994 Club Centenary
The course and clubhouse have significantly changed over the years to give us what we have today, a challenging 18 holes with superb greens and a friendly welcome from Staff and members to all its visitors.
2007 Melissa Reid turns Pro: Chevin member Melissa turned pro in 2007, after winning the amateur salver at the Women’s British Open and a year of being mentored by Sir Clive Woodward.
2008 Ladies' Centenary
2009 New 17th: The course is continually being managed, to ensure that visitors and members can be sure of a good fairways and greens and a test of their game. In 2009 Chevin moved the 17th so it is a more challenging hole.
2010 Men win the Scratch Cup for 3rd year in a row
2011 Chevin hosts EWGA North Midlands Region County Week